At the end of the purge of the bottoms in my “Simplify Your Wardrobe Challenge”, I had whittled it down to 5 pairs of ankle pants, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of dress slacks (black), and 5 skirts. That’s 12 and more than I wanted to keep, but I’m keeping an eagle eye on what doesn’t get worn and it’s getting stored. No hesitation. This feeling of empowerment that I have over the objects I own is addictive!
After all of the decisions and the contemplating, and the storing, this is what I ended up putting in the trailer for storage until the end of October:
Now we wait and see if I can cope with what I’ve kept. I’d like to say that I’m taking pictures of the outfits I’m wearing every day, but it would totally be a lie. I’ve decided to take a day a week and just throw on the outfits and take a bunch of pictures so you can see how what I’ve chosen works together. That’s EFFICIENCY lol!
Here are my takeaways so far:
- The idea of sticking to such a small number of wardrobe items (by our Western standards) is terrifying
- The process of choosing which things will go and which will stay takes time and consideration (probably why it’s taken me so long to do this)
- I gained momentum and felt more enthusiasm with each item I decided to store
- I have a clearer idea of what I’m going to wear/the combos that are available to me before I even enter my closet
- There is decidedly a more airy, refreshing and pleasant feel to my bare looking closet (pics to come)
- I haven’t felt the slightest twinge of regret (quite the opposite in fact)
- My recommendation- don’t wait! Simplify your wardrobe today!